Varicose Eczema or Ulcers
Who is affected?
Usually older people with poor circulation and those who suffer from varicose veins are affected.
What is Varicose Eczema?
Varicose Eczema is caused by the build up of pressure in the veins of the lower part of the legs. The lack of oxygen and necessary nutrients cause the eczema to occur. The skin becomes dry and itchy turning brownish purple. Scratching will only cause more irritation. Over time, especially if not treated, ulcers will form which can become infected.
Home Remedies that WORK to help treat and soothe the Varicose Eczema:
- Prevention is one of the most important things you can do. To accomplish this, elevate the legs above your waist when resting. This will take the pressure off the veins.
- Using support hose can help alleviate the pressure, but can irritate the eczema. Use a non-fragrant powder to counteract the irritation of the hose.
- Take warm (not hot) baths with oatmeal soaking products, or make an oatmeal paste with oatmeal and water.
- Add a half cup of cider vinegar and a third cup of cold compressed sunflower or safflower oil to bath water; soak.
- Pat skin gently with a with a wet cool soft compress then gently pat dry to cool the inflammation.
- Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize affected area with a hypo-allergic lotion several times daily.
- Apply petroleum jelly (creamy type or lotion is good) on skin immediately after bathing, Wet skin soaks it up better. Keeping skin moisturized is a key factor in healing eczema!
- Wet-wrap therapy – soak in bath with mild bath oil then apply moisturizer, such as creamy petroleum jelly. Afterwards, soak bandages in warm water then wrap around affected area. Wrap the wet bandages with dry bandages to lock in moisture.
- Break open a leaf then dab the juice from an Aloe Vera plant on the affected area several times daily.
- Apply a small drop of Emu oil to the affected area.
- Add moisture to skin by drinking plenty of water.
- Use humidifier in dry air or cold weather.
- Wear cool, loose, cotton clothing.
- Stay out of the sun
Varicose Eczema can be serious especially if ulcers develop and become infected. Be sure to use caution when using any remedy. Discontinue use if redness or further irritation occurs. Seek medical advice if the eczema becomes worse.
Credit: Priceless Home Remedies