Solutions for Sinus Infections or Sinusitus
Do you suffer from Sinus Infections or Sinusitis? Want a solution that can be done at home regularly to prevent this aggravating problem? Well, you have come to the right place!
A Sinus Infection (Sinusitis) is a condition in which the sinuses become sore, congested and infected with yellowish green mucus.
There are over 800,000 cases of sinus infections per year in the United States alone.
Sinuses are natural air cavities or pockets located within the bones of the face and skull which are connected to the nose. Air flows while mucus drains through these passages.
There are 8, or 4 pairs, of sinus cavities in the facial area which are listed below:
- Maxillary-under the eyes and the inner part of the cheekbones. These are present at birth and grow as we grow.
- Frontal- over the eyes in the inner part of your forehead. These are developed around the age of seven.
- Ethmoid- located between the bridge of the nose and eyes. We are born with these and they grow as we grow.
- Sphenoid- behind the eyes deep in the skull. These develop around the time of adolescence.
We have sinuses for the air to filter and moisten as it flows through our nasal passages. It also lightens the load of the skull and helps to give the voice a strong sound.
Now that we know some information about our sinuses and what they are used for let’s find out why they get congested which can lead to that awful infection.
Many people have symptoms that are very similar to the common cold which could really be sinusitis.
Nasal congestion, headache, tenderness and pressure under the cheekbones or soreness around the eyebrows, dry cough and sneezing can all are signs of an oncoming sinus infection.
A cold, which is usually viral, does not cause the sinus infection, but will cause the sinuses to swell. Allergies can also cause swelling. When this happens the openings close due to mucus filling up the cavities, which in turn, cause the pressure and pain
One of the most important things you can do is to try to prevent sinus infections from happening.
Let’s look at a simple home remedy that will help to relieve symptoms and prevent future problems.
The following solution is known as Sinus Wash or sometimes as Sinus Irrigation.
- 1 tsp. of salt (preferably pickling or sea)
- 16 oz of water (room temperature)
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- 1/2 tsp of hydrogen peroxide
- 1 rubber topped dropper or bulb syringe
Mix salt, water, baking soda and hydrogen peroxide (if used) together in a clean container. Fill syringe or dropper with solution. Blow your nose gently then plug one side of your nose. Squirt the solution in the other nostril while leaning over a sink. Sniff gently (be sure to unplug the other nostril first) and allow the solution to drain out the unplugged nostril. Blow out the excess gently; repeat procedure with the other nostril. It may burn, but you know it’s working. Do this procedure twice daily.
This method is the BEST preventative treatment a person can do and is highly recommended by doctors. It will also relieve symptoms by allowing the sinuses to drain and help to remove pollens from the nose. This is great for allergy sufferers!
Some other home remedies that may help include:
- Chopping or cutting onions will help the sinuses to drain (may cause you to tear up, too).
- Place a towel over your head (to make a tent) and lean over steaming water. The steam opens up the nasal passages. Be careful to not burn yourself!
- A couple of drops of peppermint oil or extract in steaming water (make a tent again) will work wonders.
- Using just salt water as the irrigation wash can work well, if you don’t want to add the other ingredients. Follow the above recommended procedure.
As stated earlier, the Sinus Wash is the best procedure known to prevent problems and help to relieve the current symptoms. It is not the most exciting thing to do, but it works and that’s what counts. So be patient and you‘ll soon be feeling better.
As always, if the condition gets worse or doesn’t clear up with in a few days see your doctor.
Credit: Priceless Home Remedies